- Doctor of Philosophy in Biotechnology (PhD)
Biotechnology is a field of study that uses living organisms or cellular and bio-molecular processes to make new products, solve problems, or provide new methods of production.
Scientific and technological advances have transformed biotechnology techniques, which have opened the door to a variety of applications in areas such as health care, the environment, forestry, and industrial processes. Lakehead is a comprehensive university with a reputation for innovative programs and cutting-edge research. The Ph.D. in Biotechnology at Lakehead is a research-based, interdisciplinary graduate program focused on the professional development of scientists in two areas of specialization:
- Medical biotechnology
- Environmental biotechnology with a focus on toxicology, waste, and emissions
The structure of the program allows you to choose your area of focus, and to tailor your research and coursework to meet your career goals. With faculty members from a wide range of backgrounds in both academic and industry settings, you will have the opportunity to choose from a great diversity of subjects in which to train.
Graduates of the Ph.D. in Biotechnology will have career opportunities at universities, research institutes, and the biotechnology industry in Canada and abroad.
NOTE: Students in this program are expected to complete all requirements within a minimum of nine terms (3 years) to a maximum of twelve terms (4 years) of continuous full-time registration. Candidates must meet a minimum residency of three terms, two of which must be consecutive.
More information is available on the Biotechnology Program pages
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee admission. No candidate will be admitted unless the academic unit recommends admission. All applicants will be advised in writing by the Office of Graduate Studies of their admission status.
Program Specific Requirements
In addition to the general admission requirements for PhD programs, the following requirements also apply:
- Admission will be subject to the availability of a Supervisory Committee for the student
- Normally, an applicant to the Program would be expected to have completed a Master's Degree in science, engineering, or an allied discipline. The academic program for each PhD candidate will be developed by the Supervisory Committee in consultation with the student.
- Students in the first year of a Master's degree may apply for transfer into the PhD in Biotechnology provided that they have successfully completed one FCE (view definition of FCE) of course work and have had their research proposal approved by their thesis committee.
Additional Application Information
- One page outlining your interest
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.to be considered in the initial Admission & Funding decisions for the Fall (September) semester, you are encouraged to apply by FEBRUARY 1.
Interested students are encouraged to contact potential supervisors directly and before submitting an application for graduate study.
The first step in the application process is to complete the online graduate studies application form.
After you have submitted the online form along with the required $100 CAD application fee, you will be provided with an online account where you can complete the remaining steps of the application process which include uploading the required supporting documents and monitoring the status of your application.
After you have applied
After you have submitted the online application form, you will be provided with instructions by email on how to log in to myinfo, where you will be able to review and upload the remaining and required supporting documents.
- An electronic reference form will be automatically sent by email to the references you identify on the graduate studies application form
- This form is requested in support of the applicant's ability to undertake advanced study and research
- For a list of program specific documents, please see this program's Additional Application Information section (if required, see above)
- For information about English test results, please see our Calendar
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.s: