Master of Science in Biology (MSc)
Our Department of Biology offers a graduate program in the biological sciences, under the Faculty of Science and Environmental Studies. Students who successfully complete the program will achieve a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree.
The Department's faculty and adjuncts offer exciting graduate research opportunities in all areas of Biology including studies in association with the following:
- Department of Anthropology,
- Lakehead's Biorefining Research Institute,
- the Northern Ontario School of Medicine,
- the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre,
- the Thunder Bay Regional Research Institute,
- and the Centre for Northern Forest Ecosystem Research.
The Department maintains modern laboratories and animal care facilities, unique field sites, and access to a wide spectrum of analytical services. Research themes include testing theories of global significance to applications in environmental biology, wildlife management, and human health.
Interested students are encouraged to contact potential supervisors directly and before submitting an application for graduate study. To access a current list of potential supervisors, click the following link:
NOTE: Students in this program must complete all requirements within six terms (2 years) of continuous registration.
Applicants for admission must be graduates of a recognized university, college, or institute as well as show evidence of scholarly achievement. Except where otherwise stated in the Admission Requirements of a particular program, degree students must have a four year bachelor's degree or its equivalent with at least second class standing (B) based on their last 20 half courses or equivalent.
An applicant holding a degree other than one in the discipline area to which admission is sought will be considered on the basis of courses taken and academic standing. A Qualifying Year at the undergraduate level may be required to meet the admission standards. Courses taken as part of a Qualifying Year can not be used as credit towards a graduate degree.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee admission. No candidate will be admitted unless the academic unit recommends admission. All applicants will be advised by the Office of Graduate Studies in writing of their admission status.
Additional Application Information
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- To access a current list of potential graduate supervisors as well as their area of study, click the following link:
Although applications are accepted on a continual basis, to be considered in the initial Admission & Funding decisions for the Fall (September) semester, you are encouraged to apply by FEBRUARY 1.
Interested students are encouraged to contact potential supervisors directly and before submitting an application for graduate study.
The first step in the application process is to complete the online graduate studies application form.
After you have submitted the online form along with the required $100 CAD application fee, you will be provided with an online account where you can complete the remaining steps of the application process which include uploading the required supporting documents and monitoring the status of your application.
After you have applied
After you have submitted the online application form, you will be provided with instructions by email on how to log in to myinfo, where you will be able to review and upload the remaining and required supporting documents.
- An electronic reference form will be automatically sent by email to the references you identify on the graduate studies application form
- This form is requested in support of the applicant's ability to undertake advanced study and research
- For a list of program specific documents, please see this program's Additional Application Information section (if required, see above)
- For information about English test results, please see our Calendar